Monday, July 6, 2009

Happy Birthday Hannah!

Today is Hannah's 3rd birthday. She was born on a Thursday at around 10 pm. Probably the most striking thing about her delivery was that it was fast. We got to the hospital at 5 pm and she was born just 5 hours later. After she was born, the nurse cleaned her up, swaddled her in a blanket and gave her to me. Then, they let me keep her. I was really sort of surprised and not quite sure what I was supposed to do. Right after Avery was born, she had some issues and had to be taken to the nursery . We didn't get her back until we left the hospital 10 days later. I was so happy to have Hannah healthy and staying in the room with me, that I never let her leave unless she had to. I kept her with me all night, dozing with her snuggled against my chest in that way that only a new baby can do.

The other thing I remember most about Hannah's birth was that when Jeff came to get us from the hospital, he informed me that he had been up all night with Avery who had a terrible stomach bug. Less than 24 hours later I got it. Seriously, the worst stomach bug of all time. I lost 7 lbs in one day! Thankfully, our tiny Hannah never got sick but we did manage to share the "joy" with all of our parents who came over to help out. About a week later we were all back on our feet and getting to know the newest addition to our family.

The word that I would pick to describe Hannah's personality is: endearing. She absolutely knows no strangers and charms everyone she meets. She loves to throw her arms around you and give huge hugs. But at the same time, she is smart as can be and doesn't miss anything. She can really blow your mind with some of her observations. I can't wait to see what this next year will bring for her!



No comments: