Saturday, January 1, 2011

like it's 1999


I love New Year's. There's something kind of magical about the year changing from one minute to the next. I love the renewed enthusiasm of New Year's Day and the feeling that I can do anything I set out to do.

From the time I was about 16 or so, I had been dreaming of New Years Eve of 1999. Somehow, I just knew that that night would be magic. I knew that I would be 21 years old then and would be able to toast the new year with a glass (or two) of champagne. I knew that I would be on the verge of graduating from college and starting my own life and following my own dreams. I felt sure that the new century would mean nothing but open doors for me.


When I was 20, I met Jeff. He was, simply, my soul mate. He proposed to me on that New Year's Eve I had been dreaming of for so long. And, it was magic. Our engagement meant a new start for us, the beginning of our life together. Every year, I look back on that night and think about how young we were, how much we have changed and how much we have learned. And, I smile with the excitement of what's to come.

I love that each new year brings a new beginning, an opportunity for a clean slate. I don't usually make a grand list of resolutions but can usually come up with a couple of things I would like to improve upon in the new year. This year, I plan to continue to take better care of myself. To work out at least 4 times a week and to eat better. I plan to be more organized with the kids and to play more. I plan to take more time to appreciate the little things.

1 comment:

Kristi Kelly said...

I remember!! I was there!! I just met you all that night and what an exciting New Years!! So fun to see all you two have accomplished together and fun to call you my friend now!!!