Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Boys Are Different

When I was pregnant with Ethan, people would tell me over and over, "Boys are different." They would glance down at my little girls, complete with hairbows and painted fingernails and smile in a way that made me think maybe they knew something I didn't.

Until now, the differences between Ethan and the girls have been minute. Today that all changed. To set the scence: Ethan was in his highchair in the kitchen having a snack. The highchair was used for Avery, then Hannah and now for Ethan. It has safety straps you can use to buckle the baby in but we have never used them with any of the kids because they get all gunky and the tray locks in place to hold them in. You see where this is going, right?

So there he is, sitting in the highchair and finishing up a fruit bar while I am typing an email on my phone. Not looking up from my phone, I walk to the pantry to get him some Cherrios. I am aware of him jabbering in the background while I type but don't really look at him until I have walked over to where he is and start to open the cereal box. It is at that point that I think my heart literally stopped. Ethan had managed to climb his way onto the top of his highchair tray and was sitting there, squatting like a frog. He looks up at me and in a very matter-of-fact little voice says, "Out!"

"Aaahhhh!!!"

So it is true...boys are different.

1 comment:

Suzy Shoup said...

That's hilarious (and OK, a little scary), Sarah! Thanks for sharing the warning. I'm sure Joey & I have much to learn about our little guy!