Thursday, August 21, 2008

The kindness of strangers

Anyone who has ever been out in public with a baby knows that babies attract a lot of attention. Sweet little old ladies stop you at the grocery store to admire your baby and passers-by turn their necks to peek inside the stroller at the mall. Its really kind of fun.

Yesterday I took the kids to the mall to pick out a new outfit for Avery's first day of kindergarten and as we were walking through the Gap, a saleslady came over to admire the kids. She stood there for a couple of minutes chatting with Avery and listening to her explain how now that she was 5, she would be starting kindergarten in just 5 days. The saleslady even pretended to be impressed when Avery spelled her last name. Then she turned her attention to Ethan, asking how old he was, etc, etc. Then she asked me, "Did you plan to have him?" Excuse me???

"Yes," was my immediate response coupled with a quizzical look on my face.

"Mmmm," she said and smiled.

I looked down at my beautiful boy and wondered if there was something about him, or me for that matter, to suggest that he might have been a mistake. There most certainly was not. Jeff and I absolutely planned to have 3 children and are grateful for each one of them. Granted, we have also planned for Ethan to be our last, but then we have to stop somewhere...

"Come on Avery, let's go to the dressing room," I said as I pushed my double stroller away from the salesday. If this is the reaction I get when I go out with my 3 children, I can't help but wonder what sort of rude remarks must those who have 4 or more children hear???

No comments: