Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Why?"

If I had a nickel for every time I hear the question "Why?" these days, I would have enough money to buy something really cool. Lately, Hannah has become obsessed with asking "Why?" and it is driving me insane! It is her new response to any sort of instruction, explaination or observation. A typical conversation these days goes something like this:
"Hannah, please stop doing that, it's not safe."
"Why?"
"Because you could fall and get hurt."
"Why?"
"Gravity, Hannah. That's how it works."

I tell you, I am swallowing Advil like its candy to cure the headaches from this child! Hannah has historically been my "easy child" (if there is such a thing). But the past few weeks, she has not been so easy (see previous entry). I guess maybe it's her age. She's almost 3 and apparently wanting some clarification on authority :)

Don't get me wrong, she is still the same sweet Hannah who wraps her arms around my neck and tells me she loves me. She is also very smart and going through a time where trying to articulate feelings = tantrums and trying to exert independence = breaking the rules. But I like to think that this second time around, I have a little more clarity and can be a little more sympathetic to these things. I have learned from her that it's not easy being #2 in a family. Despite our trials, I am very proud of her.

But then again, maybe that's just the Advil talking...

No comments: