Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The "E" word

Exercise. That's it. That's the word, the concept, the supposedly all-important ingredient to life and well-being that I just don't get. I find myself wondering these days if it's really all it's cracked up to be.

Those who have known me for awhile, know that I have a long history of doing just about everything possible to avoid exercise in any form. I never played sports as a kid, the closest I ever came was drill team in 9th grade (and I really don't even know if that counts). In college I was majorly irritated by the fact that those earning a BA were required to earn more PE credits that those earning a BBA. So unfair for the English majors! I actually asked a tennis instructor at Baylor one time if he was serious about testing my serving skills. Wasn't it enough that I showed up? Did he actually want me to perform? I genuinely didn't get the point.

Lucky for me, I have been blessed to inherit a pretty good metabolic rate. It allows me to eat just about whatever I want (although I do try to make more good choices than bad) and stay the same size without any particular workout regiment. I am expecting the ball to drop at any moment.

Anyway, I keep hearing this "E" word and I'm having a hard time ignoring it. The main source is my husband who has started running. What started out as a 20 minute jog around the neighborhood has morphed into an unbelievable 7 mile run that practically takes him all over town. He started about 4 months ago, has lost about 30 pounds and looks fantastic. Now, seriously, how can I ignore the "E" word with evidence like that staring me in the face??? I also have this cousin who is nothing less than a brilliant doctor. I jokingly asked her the other day if I should be taking a calcium supplement (she was giving a talk on osteoporosis). She said no but emphasised that exercise is important to maintain bone health. There is was again.

So I've decided to give it a try. A real one, like at least 10 weeks or so. I will run around the neighborhood and see what happens. I'm going to find out for myself if this exercise is really all it's cracked up to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES,YES,YES....EXERCISE is EVERYTHING it is 'cracked' up to be and more! It not only improves your outside but it is important to have your insides healthy too. Since I became an instructor, I have been the most fit and the healthest I have ever been. It is wonderful physically, mentally and spiritually....I feel that when I have just an hour of time for me,"exercise-time' I am a much happier person to be around.So I hope you can find the benifits with beginning a new work out regiment!
have a good one, oh and great photos....maybe that should become a side hobby, you are pretty darn good!

Michelle