Saturday, December 20, 2008

My Favorite Christmas Memory



Those who know me really well, know that I have this amazing Grandma. And, when I was growing up, we were fortunate enough to spend a lot of Christmases at her house. Every year at Christmas, she would go out of her way to play up Santa. There were always the leftover cookie crumbs on the plate, notes from Santa and even a phone call one year! So its no surprise that I owe my favorite Christmas memory all to her.

It was Christmas morning and Grandma was disappointed that no one had gotten me a doll for Christmas (she firmly believes that every little girl should get a doll for Christmas). So, off she went to the nearest and only store open on Christmas morning...the gas station and purchased a 3 ft tall doll with curly blonde hair, a plaid flannel shirt and blue jeans and brought it back home. Now, she had to get creative. You see, the presents had already been opened and all of Santa's surprises been revealed. So, she came up with a plan.

A few minutes later she came into where I was (enjoying my new toys and oblivious to the fact that I hadn't gotten a doll) and said, "Sarah, Sarah come look outside. I just saw Santa fly over the house and I think he dropped something out of his sleigh for you."

So we raced out into the backyard and discovered the doll. "He must have forgotten to leave it under the tree for you last night." I remember looking in the sky for a tiny glimpse of Santa's sleigh but there was no sign of him. I thought it was so wonderful to have had a near-encounter with Santa right there in broad daylight.

With a grandma like that, is it any wonder that I believed in Santa well into my middle school years? Anyway, today we hung up the beautiful stockings that she made for us and I got to revisit that Christmas memory.

"Thank You Grandma for the beautiful stockings! When I look at them I will always remember all of the wonderful Christmases at your house!"

Merry Christmas!




No comments: