Monday, August 23, 2010

and she's off...


Today was the first day of second grade for Avery. She woke up bright and early with her alarm clock, made her bed, got dressed, brushed her teeth and came downstairs for breakfast just like she had done every school day of last year. After breakfast, I fixed her hair, forced her to smile for a picture and sent her off with Jeff. In true Avery style, there was no drama and very little obvious excitement.

Last night we did stop at the grocery store, per her request, to get some flowers for her to take to her teacher on their first day together. So, in addition to her new backpack and lunchbox, she left home carrying a dozen hot pink roses for her teacher. A nice touch, I thought.

When I went to pick her up, somehow there was a mix up and she ended up in the line for the carpool kids in the front of the school rather than the line for the walkers at the back of the school. So, Hannah, Ethan and I had to stand in the 105 degree heat for 20 minutes while the teachers "worked the kinks out." I literally thought I was going to melt.

When I tried to ask about her day, I heard, "Mom, I'm too hot to talk about it." I couldn't blame her. After a snack and a cold drink, she did report that her teacher was really nice and that she had had a good day despite having to suffer the degradation of wearing a nametag.

Personally, I am really looking forward to second grade. First grade was a real whipping what with the introduction of homework and spelling tests and all that stuff I was so happy to have finished for myself. I know there will be homework and spelling tests this year but at least we are already used to it. I have also heard that second grade is a year for expanding on the things they learned in first grade, so I am looking forward to us being more successful than stressed. In short, I am looking forward to a fun school year for Avery...and for me.

No comments: