Sunday, March 14, 2010

blankie brigade


If my kids ever had to choose one possession to save in the event of a fire or other disaster, it would, without a doubt, be their blankies. My children all have completely unique personalities, but the one thing they have in common is a love for their blankies.

Avery started out with a pretty yellow sweater blanket that gradually became unraveled. Aboout 3 years ago, I tried to replace it with a new one. That didn't work and so now she has 2. Even at almost 7 years old with requests for earrings and lip gloss, there is no way I could convince that child to go to sleep without either one of her blankies.

Hannah's blankie came from a Sunday School friend of mine who gave it to me at a shower before she was born. It is made from an incredibly soft lavender fabric that matched her crib bedding. So, when she was about a year old, I started sticking it in her crib for her to snuggle with. That blankie's fate was sealed the night we rushed her to the emergency room with a febrile seizure. I grabbed the blankie from her crib on our way out the door thinking it might be comforting for her to have at the hospital. She has not been without it ever since.

"Mr. Elephant" aka Ethan's blankie, came from a bag of hand-me-downs a friend gave me. Ethan's nursery is decorated with an elephant theme and there at the bottom of the hand-me-down bag was the softest, most perfect, little elephant blankie. It has an elehant head at the top, a blanket body, and feet and a tail at the bottom. Ethan likes to hold onto the elephant's trunk and suck his thumb with one hand and stroke the elephant's floppy ear with his other.

As much trouble as it can be to keep track of them and to remember to always make sure that they make their way into the suitcase, those blankies are symbols of their childhoods, and I love them!

No comments: