Tuesday, December 15, 2009

just the facts ma'am

Most who know me, know that I am pretty laid back. I am even pretty laid back as far as the kids' health goes. Don't get me wrong, we have had our share of trips to the emergency room and even a 911 call...but it takes more than the likes of an ear infection to freak me out.

Over the past few years, I have been hearing lots of talk about childhood vaccines and whether or not they are safe. For the most part I just listen. I listen because I am really pretty ignorant of the whole topic. I know that there are people who claim that vaccines are linked to autism and other disorders, but I really can't tell you why they think that or if they are wrong. I know that my pediatrician has a big poster in his exam rooms that claims that vaccines do not cause autism. But again, I can't tell you why the poster creators think that.

A couple of weeks ago, I took Ethan in for his 18 month check-up. While we were there I inquired of the nurse about his seasonal flu booster (the office had been out of the injection for awhile). After some searching, the nurse came back in and said that she had a shot that would work for him. But, she explained, this shot would not be exactly the same as the first he had received. This shot had thimerosal. She went on to quickly rattle off that they were completely comfortable giving him a shot with thimerosal. I nodded, not really understanding much of what she had said. Ethan got his shot and we went home.

I felt like such a bad mom! What was thimerosal anyway? And what had I just agreed to inject my baby with? I didn't doubt that everything would be okay, I just felt uneasy with my ignorance. And, I felt helpless. I didn't know where to turn to find trustworthy information on vaccines, their side effects and all of the rumors swirling about. I knew enough to know that there is a lot of really passionate misinformation out there and I didn't want to get tangled up where I shouldn't be.

My moment of opportunity came when I took Ethan in to see the nurse practitioner about his head bump and I asked her about where I could look up unbiased information about vaccines. Thank goodness she wasn't at all defensive, but understanding of my need to be informed for the sake of my sanity and my childrens' health. She recommened that I check the Centers for Disease Control website. She said that the CDC is who they report any vaccine side effects to. Whew! Good to know!

Anyway, I checked out the website and it has a ton of great information! Now at least I feel more confident about my decision to have the kids vaccinated (including seasonal flu and H1N1) and I can know what the other moms on the playground are talking about...

Check it out for yourself: www.cdc.gov

No comments: