Thursday, January 1, 2009

Farewell to 2008

When Jeff and I get up in the mornings, we like to listen to Good Morning America while we are getting ready for our day. All week I have heard the reporters talk about what a bad year 2008 was and how so many people are happy to see it come to an end. I get that the economy is bad, some people have lost their homes, some have lost their jobs, but every time I heard a story like that, it made me sort of sad. I think its pretty depressing to wish that a year of your life would hurry up and come to an end or even that it was a waste all together.

But as I have begun to reflect on my own 2008 (its inevitable), my attitude is changing a bit. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate my year and never once found myself wishing that it were over but I do think that its not one I would like to repeat. At the beginning of the year, we were fortunate enough to be able to move to our "forever home," a great house where we can raise our kids. And, of course, in June we welcomed our beautiful boy. Avery started kindergarten this year and Hannah started preschool. All of these have been great blessings. But, they have also been a lot of work!

That said, I am really excited about 2009. We are starting to make our house our own, Ethan is leaving that oh-so-trying newborn stage, and next fall Avery and I will better know the ropes for elementary school. We are even already planning a family trip to the beach this summer. There is so much to look forward to!

No comments: