Monday, July 28, 2008

Avery is 5 years old!

This Saturday Avery turned 5! First we celebrated with a party for her friends at Jump Town. She invited some of her classmates from preschool as well as some friends from church. There were about 10 kids at the party and they all had a great time running around and playing on the inflatable slides. She was so happy to see her friends!

Then, on Sunday evening, we celebrated again with a family party. We washed down our pizza with chocolate birthday cake and watched Avery open her presents. She got a lot of really great gifts, she is such a lucky girl! One of her favorites was a little case full of play make-up. So, this morning she has really fixed herself up, complete with lip gloss, eye shadow and roll-on glitter. Fun to be a little girl!

I find myself feeling a little sad about this birthday. When I turned 30 in March, it didn't bother me a bit but Avery turning 5 just seems like such a milestone. I can vividly remember when she was Ethan's size (actually she was a lot smaller) and just can't believe that 5 years have gone by and now my little baby girl is officially a big girl, ready to start kindergarten.

I have to confess that I think part of my feeling is that I'm a little intimidated, too. Over the past 5 years I have learned to navigate the world of preschoolers. I'm hip to all of the cool places to play, know the library storytimes, and am down with all of the playdate etiquette. But, when it comes to the world of elementary school, I am at a loss. What if I buy her the wrong backpack? Should I go with the prepackaged school supplies or pick them out ourselves? I guess I will make her lunch everyday because I don't think she knows how to carry a tray, or does she? Will I have to join the PTA? Ugh! I suppose Avery and I will just have to learn the ropes together...




2 comments:

Judy Crawford-Dilley said...

Good job, Sarah! We enjoy hearing your thoughts and seeing the photos!!!

Judy

Kristi Kelly said...

Sweet Avery...what a fun age!! Now she is really going to make memories! My advice as a teacher is: pre-packaged school supplies for school, let her pick a few of her own out at the store for homework. Any backpack she wants is good, because kindergarten is still oblivious to what is "in", and yes, you pretty much will have to join the PTA, but you meet some really good friends that way:) I love reading your blog and keeping up with your cute sweet children...congrats on Ethan...and your new house...