Friday, February 19, 2010

inspiration for the day

"The fundamental mission of motherhood now is the same as it always was: to nurture, protect, and instruct children, to create a home environment that enables them to learn and grow, to help them develop a heart for God and his purposes, and to send them out into the world prepared to live both fully and meaningfully.

-Sally Clarkson from the Mission of Motherhood.


I saw this quote on another mom's blog yesterday (www.flythroughourwindow.com) and instantly adored it. Every so often, I need a reminder that as a mom, I do have a mission and that there is a bigger picture. More often than I'd like to admit, the job of motherhood becomes about surviving the day and I wind up parenting more out of emotion than good sense. I wish that I could say that I jump up out of bed every morning eager to see what new adventures the day will bring for myself and my children but those romantic visions are sometitmes shattered by the realities of life and the words, "Mom, I peed in my bed."

I love my children more than I ever thought it was even possible and I do relish so many moments in our lives but temper tantrums, soggy sheets and runny noses can have a way of bringing even the most enthusiastic of mothers down. So, it's nice to have an inspiring quote that reminds me of my mission.

No comments: