Thursday, March 26, 2009

School of Hard Knocks


So yesterday I got a phone call from Nurse Jill, the nurse at Avery's school. She said that Avery had had a collision with another little girl in PE class and that Avery had hurt her eye. Nurse Jill said that Avery was fine but warned me that there was some swelling and some bruising. Being the laid back mom that I am, I hardly gave it a second thought. The nurse had said she was fine, after all.

I got my first glimpse of Avery's injury while in the carpool line and she was on the sidewalk. "Oh my! That's much worse that I thought!"

So, it turns out that there was a little more than "some swelling and some bruising." To be fair, these things always get worse before they get better and her teacher said that it had gotten worse throughout the day. But, what a shiner!!!

Now my job is to convince Avery, who has never been a very good patient, that she needs to keep a warm washcloth on her eye for a little while every day. You cannot imagine the drama that that entails....


2 comments:

Kristi Kelly said...

Aww..poor Avery...Be ready though, next is green all around the eye...right before Easter too, bummer!

The Penrod Pack said...

Poor thing!! If it makes her feel better, Caroline is just getting over a matching black eye! Coffee table attack..that's what happens when you start walking!